Nexus 5, Google’s latest smartphone is also manufactured by LG. This time Google has made promising changes in its latest smartphone with lots of tweaks under the hood. Nexus 5 is, without a doubt, an amazing device. The best thing about Nexus devices is top-notch hardware accessible in low price. Nexus 5 is awesome and all, however, a locked bootloader comes between us and customs ROMs. It’s time to remove this barrier and gain complete access our your device. We will guide you with a step-by-step guide to unlock bootloader of LG Nexus 5.
Keep in mind that you must backup all your important data before proceeding further. Unlocking bootloader will wipe all data on your smartphone. Therefore, you must backup all your data before proceeding. To do so, Follow this Backup Guide
We want you to make sure that:
- You have backed up all your important data on internal storage
- You have backed up all your contacts and messages
- You are using orignal USB Cable
1. Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your computer: ADB stands for “Android Debug Bridge”. ADB is essential to establish a connection between you android device/android emulator and PC. If you are a developer, or an android device owner, who wants to mess with his android then you will need ADB & Fastboot installed on your PC. ADB and Fastboot drivers are essential to detect your device while it is connected to computer. Without these, you may find it difficult to root your device. If you do not know how to install ADB and Fastboot Drivers, visit our Guide for this purpose.
2.Install Nexus 5 USB Drivers: After you have installed ADB and Fastboot drivers, connect your device to computer. It will download and install essential USB Drivers itself. Download Here. Install these drivers after installing them.
3.Battery must be charged over 50%: Rooting process is very crucial. Any mistake can lead to a mishap. One of the most common mistakes is low battery. It poses a threat while rooting process is going on and phone shuts down due to low battery. Always remember to keep your phone charged above 50% to avoid any such mishap.
4.Check your phone Model: Always confirm that the guide you are following is for your device. You can learn about your device’s model name by navigating to Settings>About Phone. After you have confirmed your phone model, you can proceed further.
5.Do not turn off Computer during unlocking Process: This mistake has same effects as having low battery on your device. That is why be careful to keep your computer plugged in during whole process.
6.Backup all your important Data: Normally, rooting process does not wipe out your data but to be on the safe side, it is advisable to backup your data so that you can recover it in case of data wipe. If you are using a SD Card, remove it before rooting and insert it again after rooting has been done. Backup all data on internal storage on your computer. Backup messages and contacts by using methods described above.
7.Download Fastboot Files: Fastboot files are essential for unlocking process. Download Here. Place these files on your desktop.
Now Follow following Steps Closely:
- Turn off your LG nexus 5 by holding power button for few seconds
- Wait for 5 seconds
- Enter Bootloader/Fastboot mode, Press and hold Power + Volume Down + Volume Up buttons simultaneously buttons.
- Soon a new screen will appear
- Navigate to fastboot folder created in above Fastboot guide
- Inside the folder, hold Shift key and press right-click button of mouse
- Click on Open command window here
- It will open a commands prompt
- Type this command in command prompt: fastboot oem unlock
- Press Enter on your keyboard
- Now you will follow on-screen instructions
- Follow all steps closely, it will unlock bootloader and wipe all data
- Now Nexus 5 will reboot automatically
- If it does not reboot itself, type fastboot reboot and press Enter on your keyboard
- Now your Nexus 5 will reboot
Got any question? Ask me in the comments below
Now that you have unlocked bootloader of your LG Nexus 5, follow Rooting Guide for LG Nexus 5 to gain Root Capabilities.