Samsung Galaxy S3 was launched with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean out of the box and it has not received any update yet. To update this device to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, a custom ROM is needed. The custom ROM being used in this guide is CyanogenMod 11. It is a popular and very old name among the custom ROMs. CM 11 ROM is based on stock Android Holo theme. It is devoid of many useless features that are installed on a device by the manufacturer. It not only speeds up the device, but improves the battery life as well.
Below is the list of features that are included in this custom ROM for Galaxy S3 Mini. This list has been created by the developer of the ROM himself.
- 2D/3D HW Acceleration
- audio (both speakers/headphones/microphone)
- GPS and A-GPS – fast fix getting
- Glonass navigation
- Bluetooth 4.0 with LE support A2DP
- all native tethers (Wifi/BT/USB)
- Google Play
- CM11 functionallity
- CPU sleep mode
- no flicker
- YouTube HQ
- 3.0.101 kernel
- full f2fs support – the best filesystem for Android
- external storage
- native 64GB+ sdcard support (exFAT)
- video playing
- SELinux (temporary disabled)
- BLN (backlight notifications) support
- offline charging
- auto EFS backup
- New BT/GPS/offline charging/sensors drivers – no longer buggy Samsung’s ones!
- built using NovaTP GCC4.9 toolchain
- no 1GHz bug
- USB OTG support (WIP)
- also flashable via Odin
To install this custom ROM on your device, make sure that you choose the right device first. Since there are number of variants for the same device, it is possible that you might notice it right away. So the first thing that needs to be done before heading over to flashing process, is to check the device’s model number.
This CM 11 custom ROM update guide is for Galaxy S3 Mini I8190
This guide is for installing Android 4.4.4 KitKat on I8190. The model number of this devices can be verified by opening the Settings app. Then open the About Phone tab. There you will see the device’s model number. If it is anything other than I8190, then do not follow this guide.
The installation process involves installation of a new Android version and therefore it is going to be a bit lengthy process. Before starting the flashing process, make sure that the phone is charged over 50% so that it does not accidentally turns off. If it turns off in the middle of installation, then it can do some damage to the device. Make sure that you phone is charged and good to go before starting to install CM 11 on S3 Mini.
Installing Android 4.4.4 custom ROM on S3 Mini is going to wipe all the installed applications, contacts and rest of the files stored on the device. It is highly recommended that you make a backup of all the important data stored on the internal memory of the device before installing this custom ROM. To make a backup of contacts and messages, follow this guide.
To make a backup of current ROM, whether stock or custom, users can make a Nandroid backup. It will save everything in the OS in the recoverable state. If the users want to restore device to the point before installation of this custom ROM, then Nandroid backup can be used. It can be used only if a custom recovery is installed. Use this guide to make a Nandroid backup on your device. If there is no custom recovery installed on the device yet, then follow this guide to install TWRP on S3 Mini I8910.
If the phone is rooted and users want to make a backup of applications along with their data files, the use this guide. The advantage of this method is that save files of any game is stored. It can be as good as a Nandroid backup and it can be used to restore full or selected parts of the ROM. Another advantage is that users can restore applications backed up in one ROM, in another ROM. It means that users can easily transfer applications from one ROM to another, given it is stock or custom. It works with both.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190 users must also make a backup of EFS before installing any custom ROM. Loss of this file can lead to loss of network signals and phone might not receive any calls or text messages. To avoid this, make a backup of EFS using this guide.
To be able to install this ROM, computer is not required. It will be done directly from the mobile itself. To install it, a custom recovery is required. Not all custom recoveries are able to install KitKat based on ROMs on different devices. If you have not installed a custom recovery on your device yet, or if it is outdated one, then used the following TWRP 2.8 for S3 Mini.
These are all the pre-cautions are requirements for the installation of CM 11 on S3 Mini. Just follow the guide given below now. Make sure that you do not miss any step or it can cause some kind of problem with the device.
Remember that all processes like rooting, flashing and manual updating are custom methods. They have no concern with Google or mobile manufacturer. Follow every step carefully to avoid any mishap. Owner of site will not be held responsible in case of any mishap. Do it at your own risk. Rooting and flashing custom ROMs will also void warranty.
Guide to Install CM 11 on S3 Mini I8190
- Download CM 11 ROM for S3 Mini from here
- Place the zip file in the internal of external memory of your device
- Now turn off the device
- Once it is completely turned off, head over to next step
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons
- Do not leave the buttons until you see the TWRP screen
- Once TWRP is fully loaded, tap on Install
- Now navigate to the folder where that zip file is placed
- Tap on the file and confirm its installation
- Once installation is completed, go to main menu and do a factory data reset
- Also wipe cache and dalvik cache
- Now again go to main menu and reboot the device
- First boot up is going to take few extra minutes
- Once booted, give it a minute to settle down and then you’re good to go!
- To install Google Applications like Play Store, Gmail, download CM 11 Gapps from here
- Now follow all the steps used in installing the custom ROM but do not do a factory data reset or wipe cache
- Just install Gapps and reboot the device
Got any question? Ask me in the comments below