Sony Xperia Z3 Compact was unveiled along with Xperia Z3, which is the current Sony’s flagship smartphone. Unlike other mini versions of flagships, Xperia Z3 Compact has a unique presence. This phone is best known for it extremely endurable battery life. Number of battery endurance tests have shown that Xperia Z3 Compact is virtually the new king of Endurance list at the moment. It is not because of its smaller screen size or 720p resolution. It boasts a 4.6 inches display which combined with HD IPS display, can be a real battery drainer. Sony has optimized this device for the best battery life. The main concept behind this device is its long battery life and Sony has proved its claim right.
There are two variants of Xperia Z3 Compact; D5803 and D5833. Both of these devices are currently running Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS, which carries Sony’s latest UI changes. The build number for the current firmware is 23.0.A.2.105. It is the latest version at the time of writing. The following guide is for this firmware and these model numbers only. The model number and firmware build number can be confirmed in About Phone tab, located in Settings.
The CWM recovery being used in this guide is developed and released by DoomLord. It is built from 22.214.171.124 sources. The custom recovery is compiled with the kernel and therefore, it is called as advanced stock kernel. Since it is a modified kernel, it cannot be installed on locked bootloader. The bootloader is a set of codes, running at startup. It also identifies the stock kernel and does not let the device boot up if the kernel is modified. To be able to install modified kernel, just the one used in this guide, the bootloader of this device must be unlocked. Sony has provided the official method for unlocking the bootloader. To unlock the bootloader of Xperia Z3 Compact, follow the below given guide.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Xperia Z3 (Same steps used for both devices)
The installation of custom recovery will allow users to install number of custom mods and custom ROMs on Xperia Z3 Compact. It is for power Android users. Anyone can become a power users if they love to mess with the gadgets. Just explore the world of custom mods and custom ROMs. It will use the potential of this recovery to the maximum.
Rooting the phone has number of advantages associated with it. The basic meaning of the rooting process is that users removes all the restrictions put on the device by the mobile manufacturer. All the system files are accessible to the users. The limit to what can be done with a rooted device is only the creativity of the user. One of the most tools for rooted phones is the Xposed Installer which can be used to install custom mods from other flagships on these devices. It is just one of the many powerful tools available for the rooted phones. Once rooted, explore the Android world of rooted applications and you’ll be amazed by how much Android is actually capable of.
Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers
Fastboot mode is used to issue commands to the device without booting into the OS. It can be used to install kernels. If you plan to install custom ROMs and kernels, then fastboot mode will be used a lot. Follow the below given guide to install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on WIndows PC. Use Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool
This is a basic tool which is used to make the fastboot commands work. Compared to above given tools, it is much smaller in size (~2MB).
Install Xperia USB Drivers
A connection between phone and PC cannot be established unless proper USB drivers are installed on the PC. The best method for installing USB drivers on PC for Xperia Z3 is using PC Companion. Download and install PC Companion from the link given below and connect Xperia Z3. It will install required USB drivers on PC. After USB drivers are installed, disable or uninstall PC Companion. Uninstall PC Companion alone, not the USB drivers’ files.
Make a Backup of Data Stored on Internal Storage, Apps, Contacts
Making a backup is important if the device enters bootloop during the flashing process. Getting the phone out of bootloop might require wiping of data stored on device. Copy all the data stored in the internal memory to a PC before starting the installation process. Use the following guide to make a backup of contacts and messages on Xperia Z3 Dual.
All the installed applications are saved as history in the Play Store. You can install all the application from the Play Store once again. If not, use one of App backup applications available in the Play Store. Helium is recommended.
How to Install CWM 6 on Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803, D5833 23.0.A.2.105)
- Download the Kernel
- Copy it to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Installation folder and rename it to boot.img
- This file is renamed for convenience
- Make sure that all backups have been made and fastboot mode is working properly
- Now turn off phone completely
- Connect USB cable to computer alone
- Now keep pressing the volume up button on Xperia Z3 Compact and plug USB in mobile
- The phone will enter fastboot mode
- If the phone goes into charging mode, then fastboot isn’t working
- In this case, try again and check if all required drivers are installed
- Once the phone is successfully in fastboot mode, execute Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter
- It will flash the kernel in the device in few seconds
- Once you see the finished message, type fastboot reboot and press Enter
- The phone will reboot to homescreen
- Unplug the device now
- CWM 6 is installed on Xperia Z3 Compact!
- Now head over to next step, which is rooting Xperia Z3 Compact
How to Root Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803, D5833 23.0.A.2.105)
- Download SuperSU zip file
- Copy it to phone’s internal storage of Xperia Z3
- Turn off Phone completely
- Turn it on again and keep pressing volume up/down repeatedly to enter CWM recovery
- Once in the recovery, tap on Install
- Now navigate to the folder where SuperSU zip file is placed
- Tap on it and confirm its installation
- It will root the phone in few seconds
- That’s all! Enjoy
Got any question? Ask me in the comments below