Recently, Samsung has started seeding Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update for Galaxy S4 I9500 in different markets in India. This is the latest update for this device at the time of writing. While devices in India have just started getting the update, it will take a while before everyone with this device gets this update. This firmware can be downloaded and flashed on any device. Therefore, anyone with this device anywhere in the world can not update the device manually. Galaxy S4 I9500 will be updated to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop using Odin PC tool. It will do a clean install, which is actually much better than using OTA updates since it is clean install and it gives the phone a fresh start.
Note that this update guide is for I9500 only. It must not be used on any other device for it will result in bricking the device. In the Android 5.0.1 Update for Galaxy S4, lot of things have been changed and performance of the device has been improved. The battery life of Galaxy S4 should also be improved. The rest of the changes include the native Android 5.0 Lollipop changes. It includes the incredible active notifications feature, better multitasking and better RAM management. There is option to add multiple users and Samsung smart lock is also included. Android 5.0 is dedicated to improve overall performance of the device. It is a major update for Android itself. There are some visible changes in UI of TouchWiz as well. The phone becomes more smooth than before with this update. It is recommended that you clean wipe before or after updating your device. It will make sure that device runs smoothly even after the update.
- Model: GT-I9500
- Model name: Galaxy S4
- Version: Android 5.0.1
- PDA: I9500XXUHOAA
- CSC: I9500ODDHOA2
- MODEM: I9500DDUHOA1
It is mentioned again that this update can be installed on Galaxy S4 I9500 model only. There are no other special requirements for installing this update. Rest of the installation instructions along with precautions are given below.
Samsung GALAXY S4 USB Drivers
The USB drivers are a must-install for updating manually. Without USB drivers, phone cannot be properly connected to PC. download and install USB drivers installer from the link given below. It is for Windows devices. After installing USB Drivers, connect the phone to PC to complete the drivers installation.
Make a Backup
It is critical that you make a backup of all important data since the device will be wiped during installation. If device is not rooted, use the following guide to make a backup of messages and contacts. The contents of internal storage should be copied to any other media storage like PC. The external SD Card (if used) should be unmounted while flashing the firmware.
If the device is rooted, then you can make an advanced backup using the Titanium Backup application. If you have not used this application before, then follow the below given guide to learn how to use Titanium Backup to make a complete backup of device.
If a custom recovery is installed, then make the Nandroid backup. If you do not know what is a nandroid backup or do not know how to use it, then use the following guide for it.
These backups are so highly recommended because if something goes wrong, you can easily restore your device to a previously stored point. This makes flashing much less frightening for some people.
Remember that all processes like rooting, flashing and manual updating are custom methods. They have no concern with Google or mobile manufacturer. Follow every step carefully to avoid any mishap. Owner of site will not be held responsible in case of any mishap. Do it at your own risk. Rooting and flashing custom ROMs will also void warranty.
Steps to Update GALAXY S4 I9500 to Lollipop (5.0.1)
- Download Android 5.0.1 Firmware for GALAXY S4 I9500.
- Start Odin PC. You can Download It Here. (Odin v3.09)
- Extract the downloaded firmware and you will find .tar.md5 file in it.
- Now turn off S4.
- Wait for 10 seconds.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power Buttons until you see a warning screen.
- Confirm it and enter Download Mode,
- Once device is in download mode, connect it using a USB Cable to PC.
- In Odin, the color of box in upper left corner will change.
- In the box below, it will show if connection is successful.
- Now click on AP/PDA button and select the extracted tar file,
- Odin will analyze the file and let you know when it is ready for flashing.
- Make sure that only Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time are ticked.
- Make sure Re-Partition is not ticked.
- Once everything is checked, start flashing by clicking flash button in bottom right corner.
- Flashing will take about 3 minutes.
- It will reboot the device automatically.
- First boot will take longer than usual because of certain one time tasks.
- That’s all. Now your Galaxy S4 I9500 is running Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Official Firmware.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below