It has been long since the news for Android 5.0 Lollipop updates for Xperia series is out but there is no update yet. The new updates are supposed to arrive in this month. However, there is no update over when these devices will receive the lollipop update. For the Android enthusiasts, the custom ROMs always serve the purpose. The CandyRom is a customised version of SlimROM. This is more advanced than the SlimROM. This custom ROM is based on Android 5.0.2 Lollopop. This is the latest available version of Android at the moment.
This custom ROM is for Xperia Z C6602 and C6603. The bootloader of the phone must be unlocked and fastboot must be working. All of these are properly explained later in this guide. You just need to make sure that you follow each and every step properly so that you do not end up damaging your step. Because of fastboot being involved, it is recommended that you use Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 or 8.1. The ADB and Fastboot tools do not work properly with Windows 8. You will get the “Waiting for Device” error while using Fastboot on Windows 8. To update Xperia Z to Lollipop, follow the guide given below along with all the precautions to make sure that your device is safe.
- Sony Xperia Z C6602 or C6603
- Check phone model from Settings > About Phone
- Phone should be running Android 4.4.4 KitKat – Get Here
- The bootloader of your phone must be unlocked. Follow this Guide.(Same method works for Xperia Z)
- Phone might or might not be rooted
- Make sure that phone is charged above 50% so that it does not turn off while updating
- Fastboot must be working – Explained later
Download ADB and Fastboot Tools
These tools will be required to flash the kernel which contains the custom recovery needed to flash the custom ROM zip on the phone. This is done with the help of PC and it works perfectly and without interruption on Windows 7. Use it on Windows 7. These tools can be installed using the bulky tools provided by Google or a smaller installer package which installs the required files to make the installation easier. The main tools are recommended for those who have not installed it already. It will remove all the possibilities of bugs while using fastboot. Choose between these and download and install from the links given below. Also read the guides on how to use these tools.
Install Xperia Z USB Drivers
For establishing connection with PC, USB Drivers are required, These USB drivers are provided by Sony and these can be installed in a difficult way. The samrter alternative is to use the drivers installer. It is extremely easy to use and it does not require any kind of expertise to use. Visit the following page, download flashtool which contains drivers installer package in the installation folder. Use that installer to install Xperia Z USB drivers, fastboot and flashmode drivers.
Backup Files on Internal Storage:
Installing this custom ROM is going to wipe everything stored on the device, because of clean installation. If there’s anything stored on your device’s SD Card that you do not want to lose, then it is the time to make a backup of that data on a PC or some other suitable device. Once flashed, the data might not be recoverable. Copy all of your media files to a safe storage before starting to flash this custom ROM.
Backup Contacts and Messages:
If the contacts are stored in the phone memory, then you should make a backup of those contacts right away. If you do not how to, then follow the below given guide to make a backup of all the contacts stored on your phone. Using this guide users can also make a backup of their messages. This guide includes backup of text messages. To make a backup of Whatsapp messages or any other messaging application, simply copy its files stored on the internal storage along with the media files(as described in the previous step).
If there is a larger number of applications installed on your device and you cannot afford to lose those (including save files of games) then here is the solution for it. You can make a backup of all applications installed on your device along with the data of these applications. It requires that your device should be rooted. If you have not rooted your device yet, then follow this guide to root it. Once the device has been rooted, follow the guide given below to make a backup of all the applications along with data.
Make a Nandroid Backup:
This is perhaps the most important step and very useful before installing any custom ROM or custom mod. A nandroid backup can be renamed as the ultimate backup of an Android device. Users can make a nandroid backup using a custom recovery. This backup includes the entire system firmware, system apps(with data) and user installed applications(with data). Nandroid backup is used if you do not like the newly installed custom ROM and wish return to the point where you came from. It is like a restore point. It can be used anytime and it will completely recover the device. If you do not know how to make a Nandroid backup, then use the following guide.
If you have installed a custom ROM previously, then you should flash the official firmware first. Doing a dirty flash for the first time will give unwanted errors and crashes. There can be unexpected bugs, for which only the method of flashing will be responsible. It should be installed with a clean flash. A clean flash means that cache, system, boot and data partition are wiped before installing this firmware. The first three partitions will be wiped automatically. The data partition must be wiped because system settings are stored from previous ROM and they can conflict with the settings of newly flashed ROM. It will cause bugs like loss of Wifi connectivity and loss of signals maybe. System UI might crash several times and battery drain might be unrealistic! Before flashing this custom ROM, make sure that:
- You should flash it over the latest available official firmware
- Wipe cache, dalvik partition and do a factory reset
How to Update Xperia Z to Lollipop Custom ROM (Android 5.0.2)
- Download the ROM zip and extract it.
- Put the boot.img file in fastboot or minimal ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Now copy ROM zip and Gapps zip to phone storage or SD Card.
- Turn off Xperia Z.
- Connect USB Cable to PC only.
- Hold volume up button on Xperia Z and connect the USB Cable.
- Keep button pressed until you see blue LED.
- It means that phone is in fastboot mode.
- The phone should not enter charging mode.
- If it does (red LED) then it means that fastboot mode is not working properly. Reinstall fastboot tools.
- Once successfully in fastboot mode, open the fastboot or minimal adb folder.
- Hold shift button on keyboard and right-click on mouse.
- Click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter.
- It will flash the custom recovery on device and you must receive the finished message.
- Now type fastboot reboot and press Enter.
- It will reboot the device.
- While it is rebooting, press volume up or down repeatedly to enter CWM or TWRP custom recovery.
- The custom recovery is used to install the custom ROM.
- When in custom recovery, select Install zip option.
- Navigate to the folder where the ROM zip and Gapps zip are placed.
- Install ROM zip first and then install Gapps zip.
- Now go back to main menu and reboot the phone.
- First boot up will take more than 5 minutes.
- Once it boots up, give it some time to set up itself.
- That’s all! Now your Xperia Z is running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below