Earlier we posted a guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Official firmware. Those of you who are visiting this article must have updated their devices already. What’s next? Rooting! Updating I9500 to official lollipop will update previous root access. To be able to use root applications on updated firmware, you will have to root the device. Thanks to Chainfire, rooting I9500 on Lollipop firmware is pretty easy and straightforward.
For those who are rooting their phone for the very first time, it simply means that you get full control over your device. In stock state, the phone’s system files are locked away from the users. Users cannot modify or delete pre-installed applications. It means that you cannot delete the bloatware applications from phone. To do so, phone must be rooted first. After rooting there are number of methods to removed bloatware from the smartphone. Other than removing bloatware, rooting phones can be practically overclocked and underclocked. It means that you can get maximum performance and maximum battery life from your phone. There are number of applications available in Play Store which require root access. Such applications have unique features. Xposed Module is one of the best examples.
The basic requirement for this rooting method is that phone should be in stock state. You should use this rooting method right after updating the device. CF-AutoRoot will be used in this guide. It does not install any custom recovery for rooting, It is the easiest and fastest method of rooting at the moment. Make sure that follow all the steps given below to go through the rooting process without any kind of interruption.
Samsung GALAXY S4 USB Drivers
The USB drivers are a must-install for updating manually. Without USB drivers, phone cannot be properly connected to PC. download and install USB drivers installer from the link given below. It is for Windows devices. After installing USB Drivers, connect the phone to PC to complete the drivers installation.
Make a Backup
It is critical that you make a backup of all important data since the device will be wiped during installation. If device is not rooted, use the following guide to make a backup of messages and contacts. The contents of internal storage should be copied to any other media storage like PC. The external SD Card (if used) should be unmounted while flashing the firmware.
Remember that all processes like rooting, flashing and manual updating are custom methods. They have no concern with Google or mobile manufacturer. Follow every step carefully to avoid any mishap. Owner of site will not be held responsible in case of any mishap. Do it at your own risk. Rooting and flashing custom ROMs will also void warranty.
How to Root I9500 Lollipop (5.0.1) Official Firmware
- Download and start Odin PC v3.09.
- Download and extract CF AutoRoot package.
- You will get a .tar.md5 file from the package.
- Place in anywhere on PC.
- Now turn off Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power Buttons.
- Keep the buttons pressed until you see a warning screen. Confirm and move on to Download Mode screen.
- Now plug-in the USB Cable to PC.
- The ID:COM box’s color in upper left corner will change.
- Once it shows connected in log below, head on to next step.
- Click on AP/PDA tab and select the downloaded .tar.md5 file.
- Odin will load and analyze the file until it is ready for flashing.
- When it is ready for flashing, it will give the message.
- Now make sure that only Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time are ticked. Re-Partition must not be ticked!
- Once verified, start flashing by clicking on the button in bottom right corner.
- The phone will reboot itself once flashing is done.
- You will see SuperSU in app drawer when the phone boots up.
- It means that phone is rooted.
- That’s it! Enjoy root access on Galaxy S4 I9500 Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Firmware.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below!