WE recently posted the guide to root Xperia SP running 12.1.A.1.207 firmware. Rooting alone can be used to do lot of customizations in the device. The Android enthusiasts stop at nothing and rooted phone alone has some limits too. There are no limits practically but the customizations can be taken to a whole new level by installing a custom recovery. The custom recovery can be used to flash custom ROMs, custom mods and make backups. The custom recovery can be used to modify the system before booting up the operating system itself. It makes the custom recoveries much more useful than a simple rooted phone.
This custom recovery is not a traditional one. It contains simple CWM recovery, Philz CWM Advanced Edition and TWRP recovery. The users have a wide variety of custom recoveries to choose from at the same time. CWM has no touch interface. It is operated using the hardware buttons. The rest of the recoveries can be operated using touchscreen. All of these recoveries will be flashed at once in the phone with single file. You can follow the guide given below to install this custom recovery on your phone.
This custom recovery will be installed on Xperia SP C5302 and C5303 with build number 12.1.A.1.207. The phone can be with locked bootloader or unlocked bootloader. This custom recovery can be installed in both cases. Following are the steps involved in installing this custom recovery on Xperia SP.
Activate USB Debugging
To activate USB Debugging, go to settings, navigate to the bottom. locate Developer Options. Inside Developer Options, tick USB Debugging. If you cannot find Developer Options in Settings menu, then navigate to About Phone menu in Settings. Open it and tap on build number seven times. It will make the Developer Options visible in Settings menu. Activate USB Debugging from Developer Options.
Install USB Drivers for Xperia SP
Download USB Drivers from the link given below and use the installed to install the Xperia SP specific drivers. These drivers are required for the installation method to work properly. Install flashtool and locate Drivers in the installation folder.
Install ADB Drivers
Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. Use the guide to follow all the steps to install it on your PC. Use Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
Remember that all processes like rooting, flashing and manual updating are custom methods. They have no concern with Google or mobile manufacturer. Follow every step carefully to avoid any mishap. Owner of site will not be held responsible in case of any mishap. Do it at your own risk. Rooting and flashing custom ROMs will also void warranty.
Install CWM/TWRP on Xperia SP 12.1.A.1.207 Firmware
- Download Recovery Installer and unzip it on your desktop.
- If not rooted already, root your phone using this guide.
- Once rooted, activate USB Debugging and connect phone with PC.
- Now open the extracted folder and execute install.bat.
- If you are using Mac or Linux, then run install.sh.
- Now follow the on-screen commands to install recovery on your smartphone.
- You will also have to grant superuser permissions from the smartphone when asked during the installation process.
- Once the installation is done, reboot the device.
- While the phone is booting up, press volume up to enter Philz CWM, volume down to enter TWRP recovery and camera button to enter CWM recovery.
- That’s it. Now you can use this custom recovery to do whatever you want to with your phone.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below.