CyanogenMod 12 has been released for few devices. CM 12 is based on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. This is the latest version of Android OS at the time of writing. Xperia SP is one of the lucky devices to receive the update. Moreover, this custom ROM can be installed on Xperia SP with locked bootloader. There is no need to unlock the bootloader and lose the DRM keys in order to install this custom ROM on your device. This way, you get to keep the warranty as well. The installation is easy and hassle free.
The custom ROM contains nothing in addition to the original Android OS. Most of the features are working and many bugs have been fixed, The developer of this ROM is highly active and fixing the oncoming bugs fast. So if you are planning to use an Android 5.0 based custom ROM on Xperia SP, then this one is a good choice. It can be installed on Xperia SP with both locked and unlocked bootloader. We have completed the guide and provided all the steps involved in installation of CM 12 on Xperia SP.
Activate USB Debugging
To activate USB Debugging, go to settings, navigate to the bottom. locate Developer Options. Inside Developer Options, tick USB Debugging. If you cannot find Developer Options in Settings menu, then navigate to About Phone menu in Settings. Open it and tap on build number seven times. It will make the Developer Options visible in Settings menu. Activate USB Debugging from Developer Options.
Install USB Drivers for Xperia SP
Download USB Drivers from the link given below and use the installed to install the Xperia SP specific drivers. These drivers are required for the installation method to work properly. Install flashtool and locate Drivers in the installation folder.
Install ADB Drivers
Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. Use the guide to follow all the steps to install it on your PC. Use Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
Remember that all processes like rooting, flashing and manual updating are custom methods. They have no concern with Google or mobile manufacturer. Follow every step carefully to avoid any mishap. Owner of site will not be held responsible in case of any mishap. Do it at your own risk. Rooting and flashing custom ROMs will also void warranty.
Install CM 12 on Xperia SP [Locked/Unlocked Bootloader]
- Download latest CM 12 zip.
- Copy it to phone’s external SD Card.
- Install Custom Recovery from this Link.
- Once the recovery is installed, advance to next step.
- Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing camera button while phone is booting up.
- Make a Nandroid Backup.
- Now do a factory data reset and wipe all user data from the CWM.
- Go to mounts and storage option and use format/system option.
- Now go back to main menu and choose install zip option.
- Navigate to the folder where you have placed the zip file.
- Select this file and flash it.
- The ROM will be installed in few seconds.
- Once done, reboot the device.
- First reboot will take longer than usual.
- If you want Google Applications, the download Gapps.
- Flash gapps zip the same way ROM zip was flashed but do not format/system or wipe user data this time.
- Just use the install zip option to flash Gapps.
- Then reboot the device.
- That’s all, now your Xperia SP will be running Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM 12.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below.