No matter how many songs or movies are stored on our smartphones, the most important data will always be “Contacts” and “Messages”. This is because, this is the main purpose of a smartphone. Once it happened that i lost all my contacts. This was the saddest moment of my life. It was like i lost everything and my smarphone was useless now. That is why i have decided that none of you will ever lose your precious data. In this post you will learn how to backup contacts and messages on android smartphone.
We will explain seprate methods to backup contacts and messages for better understanding.
To make a backup of your contacts and call logs, three methods are available. We will explain each of them one-by-one. We will also explain how you can import these contacts to your phone later.
1. Export Contacts to vCard:
This is one of the most reliable and oldest methods available to save your contacts. Follow these steps to backup your contacts:
- Open “Contacts” app
- Hit menu button and select “Export Contacts”
- Now select the storage type you want to use (Sd Card is preferrable)
- Later you can upload this file to an online storage like Dropbox, Drive or Skydrive for safekeeping
- Now click on “OK”
- Your contacts are now in a backup file
This is how you backup your contacts to a vCard. The advantage of vCard is that you can send it to any other mobile any use it. You can make a new vCard file every week to store new contacts and delete old vCard files.
1.1 Import Contacts from vCard:
- Impoting contacts from a vCard is very simple
- You just need to hit the menu button in contacts app
- Select “Import Contacts”
- Select the file you want to restore
- Click on “ok”
- You will also be asked if you want to import them to phone storage (Local Contacts) or to your google account. Google account is preferrable
- Your contacts will be restored
2. Save contacts with an app:
There are several apps available on Google Play Store which can backup contacts. We recommend MC Backup app.
- First install this app from Play Store
- Open MC Backup app
- You can open settings tab and select desired option like saving contact picture etc
- Hit “backup” button
- All contacts will be backed up
- Now you can save this vcf file in any online storage or e-mail yourself
- You can downlaod and use this file anytime
3. Sync contacts with Google Account:
This method is most easy and highly recommended. All Android users must use this method.
- Go to Settings
- Open your Google account
- Select “sync contacts”
- All your contacts will be synced forever
- You can always import from google account
- Enable auto-sync for better functionality
Jump to next page to learn how to backup messages.